Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Weekend Evaluation: Greatest of All Time (aka Stop Saying 'Low and Slow')

We went out for lunch on Saturday (Red Hook Lobster Pound....this was fine), and dinner on Sunday (Paulie Gee's - always good - my favorite crust texture).  So not a lot going on here in terms of volume. 

Finally tackled the goat shoulder in the freezer. Next up: rabbit, and another ham.

Gretchen decided goat is gross- although she pretty much eats anything else; which to me makes no sense.  First of all, I'm pretty sure she's had it when I've gotten it out - and I mean what's the difference really. 

In fact goat is the world's most consumed meat. Plus, it tastes pretty much like lamb or mutton - and she likes lamb in general.

So I had to come up with some way to break it into portions so I could handle eating it; but I still wanted to roast some of it.  It did take forever to cook; but that's my fault.

Last regular CSA of the year this week - on to all root vegetables all of the time.

Red Curry Braised Bok Choy Omelet 


Positive - Eh - made this at like 5 in the morning.

Negative - Over seasoned - waste of bok choy; kind of a trend this weekend..  Although I will say it's not nearly as good as it was three weeks ago.

Barbacoa Goat
Red Bean/Sweet Potato Salad, Coconut Rice w/Collards,
Coconut Pasilla Cream
I marinated the goat in pasilla pepper paste - basically re-hydrated peppers, toasted garlic, toasted onion, salt, mexican oregano.  Served it with some tortillas and these sides.

Gretchen got a pan roasted Chicken breast instead (brined with thyme allspice and cinnamon).
Positive - The goat tasted good.   I may not have enjoyed it that much on Saturday, but it was really good when I had warmed leftovers over the grill on Monday with some bok choy on a sandwich (Gretchen had an egg sandwich).

The coconut pepper cream was good too; anything with coconut milk generally is.

The flavors of the sweet potatoes (in the 'sous vide' crockpot with some thyme, allspice and cinnamon) were there - and they were very clean. Tossed them with the beans and a mild vinegrette of white wine vinegar, espazote and mexican oregano.  I always think of those flavors when I have beans for some reason.

The collards were cooked pretty well - tender but not mush/pale green.

Negative - My timing was all off - I expected the goat to get done way earlier.  It got up to 180 pretty quick, so I turned the oven down from 350 to like 210, to just keep it below boiling as to not dry it completely out (see McGee on that), but the massive amount of connective tissue took forever to break down. I got really annoyed that it was taking so long.

Did the sweet potatoes in the sous vide. I looked up what temperature to cook this at online and got 65 Celcius. When I pulled them out, they were just under. I had just listened to a podcast (Cooking Issues) about this exact thing, and they said to make sure and bring it close to a simmer to finish cooking if you're going to cook sweet potatoes in a water bath. For whatever reason I disregarded that and went with the anonymous web site. How stupid.

I also forgot elements in dishes even though I had tons of time....

I was cooking hungry....never a good thing - I kept going into the kitchen and messing with stuff which just made me more annoyed and put both of us in a bad mood; so despite the food tasting good - it was just a crap dinner.

Curried Goat Sausage

Besides roasted goat tacos, I think of curry when I think of goat.  Here I used a homemade curry mix, cilantro and some coconut milk, along with the goat shoulder and some pork back fat.  To make it more a 'Jamacian' curry, I added allspice and cinnamon to a pretty typical hot curry of turmeric, coriander, cardamom, black pepper, and fenugreek.

Positive - I'm into the concept of this sausage, and the whole grinding/stuffing process went really quickly.  I wasn't doing nearly as much as normal.

Negative - I think I may have over seasoned these....not sure; it felt bland when I first tasted it.  But my second taste seemed salty.  We'll see when I eat these - I still have like a half pound of pulled goat shoulder.

Carrot Muffins

Positive - We got a lot of carrots in the final CSA share - so used some here.  Plus can freeze some of them.
 
Negative -  It's been a while since I made muffins and I filled the tins almost all the way; like they wouldn't rise.

These tasted ok - but kind of plain.

CSA
Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Carrots 
Red Kale
Rutabaga
Watermelon Radish
Cilantro
Kohlrabi 
Bok Choy
Red Radish
Broccoli

2 comments:

  1. Man, every part of that goat barbacoa sounds excellent

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty good - I think I'd add some different peppers to it if I did it again. dried Pasilla are just fruity, I could have used more heat, or smoke taste.

    If I'm looking for smoke flavor next time I should just smoke it.

    ReplyDelete